Helen Benitez

LATINX HERITAGE MONTH

Meet Helen Benitez! Helen is a third-year Physiological Science major with a minor in Global Health. She is aspiring to obtain a medical career to expand the services available to minority groups in low-income areas and diversify the field to enhance the level of understanding between patients and the care team to improve the overall quality of care. Read more about what she’s currently researching, a bit about her background, and advice she has for other Latinx students!

1. What are your pronouns?

She/Her

2. What is your year and major?

I’m currently a junior (Class of 2026) majoring in Physiological Science with a minor in Global Health.

3. In one sentence, what are you currently researching?

I’m currently involved in cardiovascular research in Dr. Tzung Hsiai’s lab, specifically the development of cardiac atrioventricular valves!

4. What research experience did you have before joining a lab at UCLA?

None! As a first-generation college student, I had no idea what research was until coming to UCLA. I was first introduced to research through the UCLA Program for Excellence in Education and Research in the Sciences (PEERS) during my first year.

5. How did you first get involved in your current research project?

During my first year, I heard about an opportunity to conduct cardiology-related work in Dr. Tzung Hsiai’s cardiovascular bioengineering lab through a recent graduate in my club (Spanish in Healthcare). I was drawn by the lab’s focus on cardiology since it was a field within medicine that I was most interested in pursuing in the future. Upon speaking with graduate students, touring the lab, and discussing the current lab projects, I initially joined the lab as a student volunteer to work on a zebrafish project involving chemotherapy-induced cardiotoxicity associated with Doxorubicin (Dox). I recently transitioned my focus to work on our cardiac valve development project earlier this year.

6. How would you describe your research experience at UCLA?

Challenging, Exciting, Insightful/Invaluable. Getting involved with research at UCLA has provided me with an amazing opportunity for growth as an individual and scientist. Throughout my undergraduate career, I gradually gained confidence in my abilities and sought to become more involved in research: first as a student volunteer as a freshman, to now, working as a MARC trainee in my lab. It challenged me to think critically, embrace flexibility, and give myself grace, not only when learning new concepts or lab techniques, but also when dealing with personal struggles such as imposter syndrome. Previously, my scope of knowledge about STEM careers was limited since I had no family members or relatives who worked in such fields/areas. My research experience served as an avenue for exposure to science careers which greatly helped me consolidate my future career choice. The mentorship I have received from lab members and my PI has been invaluable to my growth as a scholar. The insights they have shared about their academic and personal journeys have broadened my scope of understanding of graduate/professional school and have begun to minimize the disadvantages I experience as a first-generation college student.

7. Can you share a bit about how your experiences growing up and your cultural background has influenced your decisions on your academic and career journey?

Growing up in an immigrant low-income household, I experienced many challenges due to my disadvantaged background and learned to be self-reliant at a young age. As the second oldest of 5, I desired to be a role model for my younger siblings and aspired to pursue higher education – an opportunity my parents never had – to advocate for the needs of my Latino community. Having experienced first-hand many health disparities due to my background, I aspire to obtain a medical career to expand the services available to minority groups in low-income areas and diversify the field to enhance the level of understanding between patients and the care team to improve the overall quality of care. In particular, I am interested in gaining exposure to the field of cardiology as understanding the functionality of the heart is critical in developing effective CVD treatments. Such advancements in medicine are significant since cardiovascular diseases disproportionately affect the Latinx community. As a Latina, I want to get involved in such areas of research to contribute towards discoveries in medicine that will empower Latinos and other people of color by addressing and reducing health illnesses that reduce their quality of life and ability to uplift themselves. The lack of Latinos/Hispanics in professional fields such as medicine and academia/science continues to ignite my passion for empowering my Latino community by being a role model to demonstrate that we can attain success through resilience and hard work.

8. Do you have any advice that you would give to Latinx students who are thinking about pursuing STEM or getting involved in research?

• Don’t let imposter syndrome prevent you from even applying to desirable opportunities! There’s no harm in applying, so go for it!
  • Learn to advocate for yourself and build a supportive community that will encourage your research endeavors! I understand that it can be extremely daunting and discouraging to be the only Latino/Hispanic in the room, but remember, you have a seat at the table!
  • If you’re struggling with finding a research opportunity, talk to your peers and see how they got involved with their labs!

9. Please list any URC/departmental programs/clubs you are involved in.

• Research related:
    • UCLA Program for Excellence in Education and Research in the Sciences (PEERS)
    • UCLA CARE Fellows
    • Maximizing Access to Research Careers (MARC) U*STAR Program
  • Non-research related:
    • PULSE UCLA (Pre-medical Undergraduate Learning through Shadowing Experience)
    • UCLA Spanish in Healthcare