What is the Student Research Program (SRP-99)?

SRP 99 is an independent research course designed for entry-level research experience, particularly suited to lower-division and first-quarter transfer students, and allows undergraduates early in their academic career to participate in research or engage in scholarly efforts under the direction of a faculty mentor. 99’s are a one quarter commitment, however many students do one to three quarters of 99’s before they pursue upper division research credits by enrolling in a department 196, 198, or 199 course.

What is expected of me as a mentor?

It is expected that you will give the student background reading in your field of interest. It is also expected that you will meet with the student periodically to keep track of the student’s progress. For a 199 student, it is expected that the student will attend and participate in lab meetings and also submit a research report each term. You should also expect to be asked to write a letter of recommendation or serve as a reference for the student for their future job or professional school applications. For those unsure about mentorship, we recommend “Advisor, Teacher, Role Model, Friend: On being a mentor to students in science and engineering”  by the National Academy of Sciences, The National Academy of Engineering and the Institute of Medicine.

How can I become an SRP-99 Faculty Research Mentor?

To participate in the Student Research Program (SRP-99) as a Faculty Research Mentor, you must have a current Faculty appointment at UCLA. SRP Faculty Research Mentors must hold a tenure track (or similar) position. They cannot be Post-doctoral scholars, Graduate Students, or Staff Research Associates.

To enroll in the program, you must complete this online submission form on this page. You will receive a confirmation email from urcsciences@college.ucla.edu when you have been successfully added.

Do I have to renew my participation as an SRP Faculty Research Mentor?

No, your participation in SRP-99 as a Faculty Research Mentor is valid for the duration of your employment at UCLA.

If your appointment information (change or add departments) or work information (office location, phone number, etc.) changes, please email us at urcsciences@college.ucla.edu so we can update your information on file.

How many hours per week should students be working for SRP-99?

SRP-99 is designed for entry level research experiences for undergraduates conducting research 3-10 hours per week. If an undergraduate in your research lab or group is working more than 10 hours per week, you should consider sponsoring them for an upper division research course (196, 198, or 199). Consult an academic counselor or SAO in your home department for more information.

How many students can I sponsor for SRP-99?

The UCLA Registrar’s Office has established that a Faculty Research Mentor may sponsor up to 10 undergraduates in SRP-99 per quarter.

How do students enroll in SRP 99? When are SRP 99 contracts due?

Students generate an SRP-99 course contract on MyUCLA. Students will then print out a hard copy of the contract and the Faculty Research Mentor must sign it. Students are officially enrolled in the course after submitting the signed contract to the URC-Sciences Office in 2121 LSB.

Contracts are always due at 5pm Friday of Week 2 of every quarter.

Can someone else sign a contract on my behalf?

For a 99, the signature must belong to the faculty mentor. A graduate student, postdoctoral fellow or secretary may not sign on your behalf. The URCs will accept an email from you in lieu of a signature if you are out of town. You can email your approval to urcsem@lifesci.ucla.edu

What is the lab safety training requirement for students in SRP 99?

The University has designated undergraduates conducting research with certain Faculty Research Mentors to complete the Laboratory Safety Fundamental Concepts course prior to enrollment in SRP-99. Undergraduates who’s contracts contain the “Safety Training” text on their course contracts are required to submit their hard copy Certificate of Completion with their SRP-99 contract to the URC-Sciences Office for enrollment.

Students who do not submit required certification will not be enrolled.

How can I recruit undergraduates to my research lab/group?

If you are interested in recruiting undergraduates for a research project, we strongly encourage you post an opportunity on the Undergraduate Research Portal. More information on the portal can be found here.

How do I submit a grade for students in my lab?

What grade do students get for SRP 99?

Students will receive 1-2 units of Pass/No Pass credit.

When are grades due for SRP?

The deadline to submit grades for all courses is one week after the end of finals week. If no grade is submitted prior to the close of the grading period, the student will receive a grade of “NR”, or Not Reported.

What is the Departmental 199?

The Departmental 199 is designed for upper division students that are participating in more advanced, independent research projects, leading in most cases to the submission of a thesis or research paper. Most students sign on for 2 or 3 quarters of 199, and many departments offer this as a series (e.g. 199A, 199B, 199C). 198 is the honors version of the 199 and is offered for students going for College Honors.

Below are a list of the major differences between 99 and 199 so that you can better decide whether you would like to take on a 99 vs a 199 student. Please note – there are some variations by department so speak with your own departmental student affairs officer (SAO) to get the complete details.

How does the time commitment vary between 199s and 99s?

For SRP 99, students receive 1 unit of lower division credit for 3-5 hours of work per week or 2 units for 6-10 hours of work per week. For a departmental 199, students are expected to work a between 12-20 hours per week for 4-8 units of credit. Unit/hour guidelines are established by each department.

What grade do students get for SRP 199?

SRP 199 is for a letter grade.

Where does a student go if they have questions about 199 or 99?

For SRP 99, the student should go the appropriate Undergraduate Research Center (URC-Sciences or URC-HASS). The Center location is determined by the Faculty’s department. For faculty in Life & Physical Sciences, Medicine, Psychiatry, Engineering & Math -students should be directed to go to URC-Sciences in 2121 LSB. For Faculty in Humanities, Arts, Psychology and Social Sciences – they should go to the URC-HASS in A334 Murphy Hall. For 199 questions, the student should go to the departmental office for their faculty mentor.

During exam weeks is it ok if the student works less?

Yes. But you may ask a student to work more hours before or after midterms to make up for the missed time.

Where do I go if I have more questions?

Visit the SRP 99 web site by clicking the link to the left. There you will find answers to frequently asked questions. For questions about 199, speak to your departmental counselor or SAO.