Zahra Gill

Meet Zahra Gill! Zahra is a 4th year Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology major with a minor in Biomedical Research. Through her Biomedical Research minor prerequisite class (BR10H), Zahra was able to gain experience working with Drosophila, and credits this experience to her current placement at the Orsulic Laboratory. She was also involved in MCDB Departmental Honors, a year-long program where students conduct individual research under a faculty advisor, culminating into a full thesis. When asked about the impact of undergraduate research on her career path, Zahra says, “It completely changed my career path. I always had a passion for research but never believed I could pursue a career in research. My undergraduate research gave me the confidence that I can pursue my passion as a career.”

1. How did you first get involved in your research project?

I knew I wanted to gain research experience when I transferred to UCLA but knew how tough it can be especially for transfers to get a position in a lab. I signed up for a biomedical research minor prerequisite class (BR10H) and gained experience working with Drosophila. I loved this class and successfully applied to the biomedical research minor. I was able to get placed into my current lab, the Orsulic laboratory, with the help of the biomedical research minor. The faculty of the minor really helped me gauge my research interests and suggest labs that would be a good fit for me.

2. How would you describe your research experience at UCLA?

One word I would use to describe my research experience at UCLA is transformational. It is such a privilege to have access to mentors that are leaders in their field. I find even only as an undergraduate my perspective is valued and for me that has been quite empowering as a scientist.

3. What is your year and major?

4th year, Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology

4. What is one piece of advice you have for other students thinking about getting involved in research?

Getting involved in research can be a very intimidating process, and if you have even a sliver of interest in research try to pursue it one step at a time. The experience will be so valuable regardless of the outcome.

5. Have you attended a conference before? If so, can you describe your experience on preparation, presenting, etc.?

Yes, preparing was a bit stressful getting all my data together and creating a fluid story about my research project. However, once I was fully prepared, presenting was so much more fun that I expected. It was exciting answering questions about my research project and it even helped me think about my research in new ways.

6 .Have you had your work published? Can you talk about what that process was like?

Not yet 🙂

7. What are your future career goals?

I hope to attend graduate school after taking a gap year or two.

8. Please list any URC/departmental programs you are/were involved in.

MCDB departmental honors, Biomedical research minor

9. What was the impact of undergraduate research on your career path?

It completely changed my career path. I always had a passion for research but never believed I could pursue a career in research. My undergraduate research gave me the confidence that I can pursue my passion as a career.