Departmental 199’s are a ‘next step’ in pursuing undergraduate research. Although the specific rules and prerequisites for 199’s vary by department, the 199 in general is intended as an upper-division research course that allows students to work on an independent research project under the guidance of a faculty mentor. Many students choose to pursue 199s in the labs that they previously participated in 99s with, but this is not necessarily a requirement to enroll in a 199.

When preparing to enroll in a 199, be aware that most departments require the following:

  • Completion of a 199 contract through MyUCLA. Depending on your department, you may be required to complete additional paperwork.
  • Commitment to 12-16 hours of research per week (usually 3-4 units)
  • Completion of a written thesis outlining your research (this will be used to assign you a letter grade for the course).
  • If you are considering Departmental Honors, you can complete a 198 series of courses instead (contact your department for details).

Regardless of which department you choose to pursue a 199 in, you can expect the 199 to be a more self-directed and intense research experience. For further information on how to get started with the Departmental 199, please use the table below to find the appropriate contact (this is usually the department your faculty mentor is in). If your department is not listed, please contact our office to let us know.

See list of Department 199 contacts.